xdm loging problem on CURRENT

Thierry DELHAISE thierry.delhaise at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 17:10:16 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I'm running CURRENT aka

FreeBSD mercure.interne.delhaise.net 7.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT
#4: Sun Mar 11 03:38:32 CET 2007
root at mercure.interne.delhaise.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/FBSD7  i386

In this full build I've one problem with xdm :

messages:Mar 16 16:58:53 mercure xdm: in openpam_load_module(): no /
usr/lib/pam_nologin.so found but the module exist in the real place !!

This is my final test (whith pam fullpath module name). The original /
etc/pam.d/xdm config file originaly do not contain fullpath for
module. This is just my final test. In fact the problem is :

shortly  it's a dlopen()/shared library loading problem (I can spend
time to explain to maintainer...). After quickly investigating libpam
code I 've dicovered the magic _openpam_debug ;-)

So in gdb with _openpam_debug set to 1, I've got this :

debug.log:Mar 16 16:59:26 mercure xdm: in openpam_dynamic(): /usr/lib/
pam_nologin.so: /lib/libutil.so.6: Undefined symbol "__use_pts"

Where does come from __use_pts symbols ? it seems to me that
basically libpam missed a reference of an another shared lib
exporting this symbols but witch one ?

Any advices, suggestions ? I can spend some time this night to
investigate more and may be provide a patch ...

I sugest too that when something wrong append in the dlopen() call in
openpam_dynamic.c ( func openpam_dynamic() ) the dlerror() return
should be send to syslog ... It would help to know what its wrong
even if _openpam_debug is not set to 1 ... ;-) just mt 2 cts ;-)

Thx in advance for any help (about __use_pts).

Thierry

¨PS : Sorry for my poor shoolish english ;-)