Bad gcc -O optimization cause core dump. What to do?

Max Laier max at love2party.net
Tue Mar 13 13:16:05 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 13 March 2007 13:37, Eygene Ryabinkin wrote:
> Andrey, good day.
>
> > It calls "puts(NULL)" with core dump.
> > It means "printf("%s\n", NULL)" is overoptimized.
> > BTW, things like "printf("1%s\n", NULL)" are not overoptimized.
>
> Yes, it is in the gcc/builtins.c::expand_builtin_printf(). Currently
> it only handles "%s" and "%c".
>
> > Any ideas? Is it right or needs to be fixed?
>
> It is definitely not right, since it produces the bad code.
> And there are no compilation-time checks that can say for
> sure will the argument for the "%s" be NULL:

This is simply a programming error.  Just because the function is called
printf doesn't make it right.  It's nice that the libc's printf does all
these neat tricks, but it's also expensive (See the link I posted
earlier).  According to the printf(3) manpage:

 s       The char * argument is expected to be a pointer to an array of
         character type (pointer to a string).  Characters from the array
         are written up to (but not including) a terminating NUL charac-
         ter; if a precision is specified, no more than the number speci-
         fied are written.  If a precision is given, no null character
         need be present; if the precision is not specified, or is greater
         than the size of the array, the array must contain a terminating
         NUL character.

And I fail to see how "NULL" is a valid pointer to an array of character
type.  This is C after all.

/"\  Best regards,                      | mlaier at freebsd.org