BSDtar performance vs GNUtar (Re: cvs commit: src/usr.bin/tar Makefile bsdtar.c bsdtar.h bsdtar_platform.h config_freebsd.h getdate.y matching.c read.c tree.c util.c write.c src/usr.bin/tar/test config.sh test-acl.sh test-basic.sh test-deep-dir.sh test-flags.sh test-nodump.sh ...)

Tim Kientzle kientzle at freebsd.org
Mon Mar 12 00:42:29 UTC 2007

>>Bsdtar should now be considerably faster than before.
>>I'd appreciate any feedback ...
>
> The first archive was created with bsdtar (tar cvf ports.tar ports)
> which made gtar bitch a bit ....

Which version of gtar were you using?

In my testing, there's a small but definite slowdown
from gtar 1.13 to 1.15 to 1.16.

> ... gtar bitch a bit about unknown options (SCHILY.*) ...

bsdtar should probably warn about unknown options as well;
I'll have to look into that.  (It's a little tricky because
libarchive is set up to only return one error for any
one operation.  I might have to generalize that.)

Now that gtar is following standards, I wonder if
they'll adopt some of the extensions developed
by other people?  (Such as Joerg Schilling's solid
work on integrating file flags and ACL support into
pax format.)

Tim Kientzle