nve related LOR triggered by lots of small packets, and a hard hang

Pyun YongHyeon pyunyh at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 04:29:20 UTC 2007

On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 12:17:52PM +0200, Danny Braniss wrote:
 > > Pyun YongHyeon wrote:
 > > > Because your dmesg for nfe(4) shows 'obsoleted if_watchdog interface'
 > > > message I think you've used stock nfe(4) on CURRENT.
 > > > Try overhauld nfe(4) at the following URL.
 > > >
 > > > http://people.freebsd.org/~yongari/nfe/if_nfe.c
 > > > http://people.freebsd.org/~yongari/nfe/if_nfereg.h
 > > > http://people.freebsd.org/~yongari/nfe/if_nfevar.h
 > > >
 > > > The new nfe(4) has several protections for watchdog timeout errors
 > > > reported on the driver. One user repored TSO related issues for
 > > > the new driver so if you encounter strange errors in the new driver
 > > > please turn off TSO capability(e.g. #ifconfig nfe0 -tso)
 > >
 > hi,
 > I'm having 2 - probably related - problems:
 > 1- on a diskless host, it boots via PXE, attaches the NIC
 >    but somehow the mount root nsf is bypassed.
 > 2- booting of the disk, and with ifconfig_nfe0="DHCP", dhclient
 >    fails.
 >
 > if I run:
 > 	dhclient nfe0
 > all is fine.
 >
 > adding 'net.inet.tcp.tso="0"' to sysctl.conf fixed 2, but
 > adding the same to loader.conf did not help with the PXE boot.
 >
 > danny

Sorry for late reply.
Do you use MCP65 based hardware? It seems that MCP65 does not have
checksum offload capability on the hardware so TSO should not be
used on MCP65.
(Due to lack of datasheet I've unconditionally enabled TSO for
hardwares that have checksum offload capability.)
dmesg will show you what hardware were attached.

If your hardware is not MCP65 based one please try latest tcp_output.c
(rev, 1.125). Recently andre@ fixed TSO related bug.

--
Regards,
Pyun YongHyeon