ZFS port to FreeBSD: 2nd patchset available.

Barry Pederson bp at barryp.org
Tue Mar 6 16:28:27 UTC 2007

Joao Barros wrote:

> After some tries I finally got it to buildworld, but at 3am I never
> got to test anything other than 'kldload zfs'
>
> I was reading the man pages and I was wondering if files are supported
> devices like in this example:
>
> Example 4 Creating a ZFS Storage Pool by Using Files
>
> The following command creates an unmirrored pool using files. While
> not recommended, a pool based on files can be useful for experimental
> purposes.
>
> # zpool create tank /path/to/file/a /path/to/file/b
>
> I'd have to feed some noisy disks to my machine if file devs are not
> supported -.-

I tried something like that, with a 512mb file:

	dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/foo bs=1048976 count=512
	zpool create tank /tmp/foo

but it comes back with

	cannot use '/dev//tmp/foo': must be a GEOM provider

mdconfig is one way to go here, creating a memory disk based on that
file. and then creating a pool from that

	mdconfig -a -t vnode -f /tmp/foo

(comes back with "md0" perhaps, meaning it's created a /dev/md0 )

	zpool create tank md0

and you should be in business.

  	Barry