slow unless the CPU is in use

Stephane E. Potvin sepotvin at FreeBSD.org
Tue Mar 6 14:55:19 UTC 2007

Keith Pitcher wrote:
> I have a HP Pavilion dv6258, which has an amd turion X2.
> Installed current as of yesterday, and noticed something quite odd.
>
> Things are pokey slow, hit a key and wait a second or more for it to
> appear on the screen. Long load time,takes forever to shut down all the
> processes, as a whole it's crawling. However if the system is doing
> almost anything, like compiling a port or recompiling the kernel,  or
> just downloading a file during a port, then things are what I'd consider
> a normal response. I recompiled the kernel and removed all the various
> debugging options, same symptoms.
>
> I recompiled with SMP removed, the kernel no longer finds 2 CPUs, but
> the same issue.
>
> This was a 6.2 to 7 upgrade (using mergemaster, etc), I haven't tried to
> a straight current install as of yet. Any suggestions on what I should
> try to correct this behavior?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Keith

What is the value of the hw.acpi.cpu_cx_lowest sysctl node? If it's
different from C1, try to force it to C1. If it fixes your problem,
could you make available somewhere a verbose dmesg boot, the asl of you
system (see acpidump(8)) and the output of "sysctl hw.acpi" and "sysctl
dev.cpu" so I can have a look at it?

Regards

Steph