/etc/make.conf oddity (?)

Milan Obuch freebsd-current at dino.sk
Thu Mar 1 12:56:55 UTC 2007

On Thursday 01 March 2007 09:04, Ed Schouten wrote:
> Hello Milan,
>
> * Milan Obuch <freebsd-current at dino.sk> wrote:
> > I put KERNCONF="FOX" into my /etc/make.conf, make buildkernel in /usr/src
> > tells ERROR: Missing kernel configuration file(s) (FOX).
> >
> > If I change it into KERNCONF=FOX, no error message and build works as if
> > command make buildkernel KERNCONF=FOX were given.
> >
> > My understanding was variable values should be enclosed in quotes, did I
> > missread or missinterpret something?
> >
> > Even if it is no real issue (read: could not find simple workaround), I
> > would like to know if it's me or not.
>
> I once had this issue as well. Keep in mind that /etc/make.conf is a
> Makefile, not a shellscript. In Makefiles you don't need to quote your
> variables. In shell scripts you do, because the second argument will be
> treated as a command.
>
> Yours,

Thanks, so it was me... I am going tp remove all quotes for the sake of
consistency, as I think in WITHOUT_foo="YES" and WITHOUT_foo=YES have both
the same effect - all that's checked is if variable is defined and real value
is unimportant. But it would be easier to avoid such errors this way...
Regards,
Milan