Port of OpenBSD's sdiff

Ollivier Robert roberto at keltia.freenix.fr
Tue Jun 26 08:12:01 UTC 2007

According to Xin LI:
> Our current implementation is slower than many other implementation,
> especially the BSD licensed PCRE.  This has in turn made a lot of our
> utilities slow.  For instance sed -e 's/^foo [0-9]{3} bar.+$/\1/g' seems
> to use O(N^2) time where N is the text being processed.

I'm currently looking into replacing our ancient library (based on H.
Spencer code from decades ago) with either PCRE (which is nicely BSD
licensed as you say) or the new code from Mr. Spencer (taken from Tcl or
postgresql) or even maybe Oniguruma, the new library used by Ruby.

I agree, anything will be better than the one we have.
Ollivier ROBERT -=- FreeBSD: The Power to Serve! -=- roberto at keltia.freenix.fr
Darwin sidhe.keltia.net Kernel Version 8.9.1: Thu Feb 22 20:55:00 PST 2007 i386