Port of OpenBSD's sdiff

Gabor Kovesdan gabor at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jun 24 14:38:04 UTC 2007

Robert Watson escribió:
> On Sun, 24 Jun 2007, Stanislav Sedov wrote:
>>
>> Personally, I see no point in adding -- style options, since the
>> entire our world build without them. GNU people can always install
>> gnu- ports, we just should insure they're posix compatible.
>>
>> Furthermore, having -- and - style options in one world effectively
>> broke BSD's perfect look and feel:-)
>
> On the other hand -- intentionally breaking scripts that have worked
> with FreeBSD for years isn't exactly the best way to make end-users
> happy.

How you mean this? The current GNU textproc tools have those -- options.
How would that break scripts, then?

Personally, I don't need or insist on having -- style options, but
currently we have those and people might have got used to them. If we
change the available options by just changing to the BSD-licensed ones
without a deeper look of their functionality, we might break POLA.

Moreover, the BSD-licensed ones have some of those, too as I wrote
before, thus we just need to document them in the accompanying manpages.
It's strange, but the manpages don't cover the existing long options,
maybe the OpenBSD people didn't want people to use them.

--
Gabor Kovesdan
FreeBSD Volunteer

EMAIL: gabor at FreeBSD.org .:|:. gabor at kovesdan.org