Which GigE NIC for reliable use?

Sameh Ghane sameh at anthologeek.net
Thu Jun 21 17:12:29 UTC 2007

Le (On) Thu, Jun 21, 2007 at 09:07:43AM -0700, Steve Kargl ecrivit (wrote):

> Jun 20 23:22:33 node10 kernel: TCP: [10.208.78.111]:54801 to
> [10.208.78.111]:49376 tcpflags 0x10<ACK>; syncache_expand: Segment failed
> SYNCOOKIE authentication, segment rejected (probably spoofed)

How does a local communication get affected by your NIC's behavior !?

You seem to use Jumbo frames, maybe the link loss is switch related ?

> So, I plan to replace all of the bge devices with a reliable,
> robust GigE NIC.  Anyone have a suggestion for such a cards?

I would go for em(4) because the driver works really fine, for quite some time.
Polling support is really good, and helps reducing interrupts.
In my experience, even while comparing non polling mode kernels, other NICs (or
their drivers) tend to generate more interrupts.

It has nice sysctl tuning variables (ahem, actually the man page is a bit
obsolete, but browsing the sysctl tree will help you find the new variable
names).

Hardware is easy to find and widespread (driver available since FBSD 4.4).

It is the proud successor of fxp(4) in my humble opinion: cheap *and* efficient.

Cheers,

--
Sameh Ghane