Swapfile on ZFS & Deadlock

Craig Boston craig at xfoil.gank.org
Fri Jun 15 15:58:51 UTC 2007

On Fri, Jun 15, 2007 at 11:00:04PM +0930, Benjamin Close wrote:
> Then do something that needs swap.. instant deadlock. The system is
> still responsive but all disk access become hung.
>
> Known issue? If so is there a way we can warn users/prevent users from
> doing it?

I agree that it shouldn't deadlock (worst case swapping to a file on zfs
should be disallowed), but is there a particular reason you created a
file on ZFS rather than creating a zvol to swap to?

ISTM that creating a volume would result in better performance than a
file and I can't see any downside to it.

Craig