Best way to build a "new" AMD64 current

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Fri Jun 15 03:43:44 UTC 2007

Walter Vaughan wrote:
> youshi10 at u.washington.edu wrote:
> <snip reboots>
>> -What's the motherboard maker?
> INTEL  S5000XVN
>
> CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           E5335  @ 2.00GHz (2002.99-MHz
> K8-class CPU)
>   Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x6f7  Stepping = 7
> usable memory = 8571473920 (8174 MB)
> ACPI APIC Table: <INTEL  S5000XVN>
> FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 8 CPUs
>
>> -What's the chipset maker (nVidia, Intel)?
> Intel
>> -Have you tried out an alternate OS in testing the system?
> Ran Unbuntu for a day or so just for laughs before getting serious.
>
> I've talked to my hardware vendor. They have several ISP's that are
> using identical hardware but are running FreeBSD 6.1 because of
> stablity issues they ran into with 6.2. They also had one client that
> gave up and went with CentOS5.
    Hmmm... have you talked to Intel yet? I know that the S5000XVN is a
recent board and all, and maybe they can provide you with some helpful
tips in determining the root cause of your issue.
    I would suggest doing what Jeff suggested, with enabling KDB,
WITNESS, INVARIANTS, and the like. I would consider also disabling SMP
for a while and see if the issues persist.
    What scheduler are you using?
    Also, is there a common point where your server's running into
issues under load, with particular programs?
-Garrett