Disappearing userland output with -current

Gary Jennejohn garyj at jennejohn.org
Thu Jun 14 11:14:46 UTC 2007

I'm observing a strange problem with a -current i386 box (with SMP)
built on Wed Jun 13 20:34:11 CEST 2007 after a cvsup and haven't seen
anyone else reporting it.

The problem occurs whenever the output from the boot phase is garbled,
almost always because this output:
	SMP: AP CPU #1 Launched!
messes up this output (or similar):
	cd0: cd present [2222160 x 2048 byte records]

The symptom is that _all_ userland output disappears, which makes it
rather difficult to do anything. I'm forced to reboot the box until
the boot output isn't trashed.

If I break into ddb then all the output becomes visible, but leaving
ddb then results in no userland output appearing again.

I noticed this problem for the very first time after gcc42 was imported.
In all the years I've been using FreeBSD (since 1993) I've never seen
any behavior like this before. This leads me to strongly suspect some
fallout from gcc42.

Has anyone else seen this?

---
Gary Jennejohn / garyjATjennejohnDOTorg gjATfreebsdDOTorg
garyjATdenxDOTde