"-pthread" == "-lpthread" for shared libs in -CURRENT

Alexander Kabaev kabaev at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 12:37:58 UTC 2007

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 08:48:06 +0200
Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie at le-hen.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I take advantage of this thread to ask something I've always wanted to
> understand but never have an explanation.
>
> What prevented to link shared libraries against libc with the old GCC?
>
> Thank you.
> Best regards,
> --
> Jeremie Le Hen
> < jeremie at le-hen dot org >< ttz at chchile dot org>

I think this was related to the way we used to support threads in
3.x/early 4.x releases. The program was supposed to link with either
libc or libc_r, but not both and having both libraries loaded at the
same time was really bad idea. Recording dependency to libc_r or libc
into shared libraries makes shared libraries that work in both threaded
and non-threaded programs impossible.

--
Alexander Kabaev