ports broken on amd64 [was: Re: Intel C2D COREs not used equally in FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT i386]

Darren Pilgrim freebsd at bitfreak.org
Wed Jun 13 00:51:27 UTC 2007

Mark Linimon wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 12, 2007 at 03:23:11PM -0700, Darren Pilgrim wrote:
>> Is there a list of known amd64-broken ports or have they all been
>> flagged in the tree with (NOT|ONLY)_FOR_ARCHS variables?
>
> They are flagged BROKEN when kris notices a bad result from the build
>  cluster (pointyhat.freebsd.org).  For a long time, people have used
> those *_FOR_ARCHS as a shorthand for conditionally marking them
> broken, in some cases only because they didn't have an amd64 to test
> with.  These ports should be changed over; my feeling is that the
> true use of *_FOR_ARCHS should only be for "port cannot be made to
> work on this architecture".

I'm a bit lost on this logic.  Why would an unconditional flag be more
appropriate than a conditional flag for a situation that is inherently
conditional?  BROKEN_WITH_MYSQL, BROKEN_WITH_PGSQL and BROKEN_WITH_PHP
all have the purpose of preventing the build when the port isn't
compatible with the target environment--using BROKEN as you describe
seems to go against the model seen elsewhere.