Intel C2D COREs not used equally in FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT i386

Yuri Pankov yuri.pankov at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 13:13:07 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 08:39:52AM -0400, Robert Huff wrote:

> Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav writes:
>
> >  > In practice there's (almost) only one reason not to run
> >  > FreeBSD/amd64 on amd64-capable hardware:  If you depend
> >  > on a certain piece of software which is known not to run
> >  > correctly in 64bit mode.  Fortunately those are not many.
> >
> >  The only one I can think of (for a desktop) is the Flash plugin.
>
> 	The last time I looked - a couple of months ago - I believe
> mplayer was also not yet there.
>

> 				Robert Huff

Just for the record: I've linux-flashplugin7 with native Firefox working
almost flawlessly (at least for my uses). Same with mplayer - I'm using
amd64 for about 2 years now, and all this time mplayer was my choice
(working choice :)) for video/audio. Nvidia binary drivers are the only
thing, which I'm missing - can't get my dual-head Nvidia card to work
with Xinerama.

Yuri