Intel C2D COREs not used equally in FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT i386

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Wed Jun 6 10:55:02 UTC 2007

youshi10 at u.washington.edu writes:
> On Tue, 5 Jun 2007 eculp at encontacto.net wrote:
> > Quoting "Kenneth P. Stox" <ken at stox.org>:
> > > AMD bought ATI, not NVidia.
> > Thanks Kenneth, but now I am confused.  Why would all the AMD64
> > laptops that I've been looking at have nvidia video?
> Business contracts. HP probably gets ATI cheaper on bulk compared to
> nVidia.  The ATI / AMD merge happened in the past 5 months too, so
> it's not going to affect purchasing for a while I think..

AMD bought ATI last fall, more than five months ago.

The reason so many AMD-based laptops have nVidia GPUs is simply that
nVidia is by far the largest supplier of AMD-compatible chipsets, and it
makes sense to get your GPU from the same source (especially when it's
integrated in the chipset).

AMD don't make desktop or laptop chipsets themselves.  ATI do, but don't
have much of a market share.

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no