ZFS on 32-bit CPUs?

Ivan Voras ivoras at fer.hr
Wed Jun 6 00:20:25 UTC 2007

Sean Hafeez wrote:
> Has anyone looked at the ZFS port and how it does on 32-bit CPUs vs
> 64-bit ones? I know under Solaris they do not recommend using a 32-bit
> CPU. I my case I was thinking about doing some testing on a Dual P3-850.

It works, and there's never been doubt that it would work. The main
resource you need is memory. At least 1 GB is recommended, but it should
work with 512 MB (though people were reporting panics unless they scale
ZFS and VFS parameters down). If you're thinking of using it in
production, you should read the threads on this list regarding ZFS,
especially those mentioning panics.