Intel C2D COREs not used equally in FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT i386
eculp at encontacto.net
eculp at encontacto.net
Tue Jun 5 18:11:43 UTC 2007
Quoting Adam K Kirchhoff <adamk at voicenet.com>:
> On Tuesday 05 June 2007 12:40:34 eculp at encontacto.net wrote:
>> Quoting Garrett Cooper <youshi10 at u.washington.edu>:
>> > Diego Depaoli wrote:
>> >> 2007/6/5, Ed Schouten <ed at fxq.nl>:
>> >>>> In practice there's (almost) only one reason not to run
>> >>>> FreeBSD/amd64 on amd64-capable hardware: If you depend
>> >>>> on a certain piece of software which is known not to run
>> >>>> correctly in 64bit mode. Fortunately those are not many.
>> >>> I guess most of those are still waiting for a 64-bits nvidia.ko.
>> >> That's true.
>> >> Is there any news?
>> > Yeah, a lot of people are still waiting for that (including me..
>> > can't get nv to work under amd64 :(...).
>> > We should band together and get nvidia to speed up amd64
>> > development a bit more *sigh*..
>> Boy am I glad that I am reading this thread.
>> As weird as it may sound, I was going to go buy a new laptop, amd64
>> with nvidia. In fact the explanation given by Oliver helped push me
>> over to AMD in addition to past experience has always been good with
>> them. I also had the idea that AMD had purchased a chunk of nvidia
>> which made the decision make even more sense to me. Luckily I saw
>> these, before rather that after the fact.
>> I understand from this that the nvidia will not run the new xorg-7.2
>> with AMD64? Am I reading this right or am I just having a case of
>> PRE-buyers remorse? ;)
> It is true that the closed source nvidia driver will not work on an AMD64
> However, bear in mind that Xorg does not support any recent AMD cards (X1300
> or newer) with anything other than the vesa driver. The open source drivers
> support up-to the x850 (actually, the x1050 now, iirc). The AMD/ATI Xpress
> chipsets are supported by the open source 2D drivers, but not (yet) the 3D
> Your best bet might be to go with a laptop with intel graphics.
Back to the drawing board as they say. I've been trying to make that
decision for a couple of weeks now, since my old laptop's disk died.
I guess you are right but I should probably add a gig of memory to be
sure that all will be well. I had actually thought of upgrading it
from one to two and that just gives me justification ;)
More information about the freebsd-current