ichwd for ICH8

Mike Tancsa mike at sentex.net
Fri Jul 27 10:37:43 UTC 2007

At 05:07 AM 7/27/2007, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
>Mike Tancsa <mike at sentex.net> writes:
> > Sorry, you are right.  I can load it now on the current box I have
> > running, but it doesnt reboot it, probably because of the BIOS
> > setting.
> > [...]
> > Also, it works on RELENG_6
>
>Does it reboot?

Yes it does

> > I also tried the patched version on an older box and it looks good too
> > (running releng_6).  Its an ICH5 Intel 865 MB
>
>Does it reboot?

Yes.

I tried again to run it on one of the boxes in
zoo.freebsd.org.  I enabled the watchdog in the
BIOS and I know it kicks in. On this motherboard,
if you enable the watchdog in the BIOS, the box
will reboot in 4min after posting no matter what,
unless the watchdog is properly loaded and
set.  However, neither your version nor the one
in the PR works. It kld loads in both cases, and
I can startup watchdogd, but the box will reboot in 4min no matter what I do

isab0 at pci0:31:0:        class=0x060100
card=0x918015d9 chip=0x27b88086 rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
     vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
     device     = '82801GB/GR (ICH7 Family) LPC Interface Controller'
     class      = bridge
     subclass   = PCI-ISA
     cap 09[e0] = vendor (length 12) Intel cap 1 version 0
                  features: Quick Resume, 4 PCI-e x1 slots

leopard3# kldload /tmp/ichwd.ko
ichwd module loaded
ichwd0: <Intel ICH7 watchdog timer> on isa0
ichwd0: Intel ICH7 watchdog timer (ICH7 or equivalent)
ppc0: parallel port not found.
leopard3#

and same with the version from the PR.

leopard3# kldload /tmp/ichwd.ko
ichwd module loaded
ichwd0: <Intel ICH7 watchdog timer> on isa0
ichwd0: Intel ICH7 watchdog timer (TCO version 2)
ppc0: parallel port not found.
leopard3# watchdogd -t 20
leopard3#

But if I startup watchdogd (it seems to be
running), the box ends up being rebooted in 4
min.  If I kill -9 watchdogd, it still reboots in 4min, and not any quicker.

But my other ich7 box works as expected (kldloads
and box reboots after doing a kill -9 on watchdogd)

isab0 at pci0:31:0:        class=0x060100
card=0x348f8086 chip=0x27b88086 rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
     vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
     device     = '82801GB/GR (ICH7 Family) LPC Interface Controller'
     class      = bridge
     subclass   = PCI-ISA
     cap 09[e0] = vendor (length 12) Intel cap 1 version 0
                  features: Quick Resume, 4 PCI-e x1 slots

         ---Mike