status of 7.0

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Thu Jul 26 13:47:39 UTC 2007

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007, Jeremie Le Hen wrote:
> > configuaration option, it shouldn't be necessary to rebuild all
> > your ports.
>
> I'd like to add that whenever I performed an upgrade between two
> FreeBSD major branch I found easier to use sysutils/etcmerge than
> mergemaster(8) to upgrade /etc, as the former is far more automated
> and prevents a lot of work due to the huge number of changes to
> merge.
>
> Important note (also explained in the "ROUGH DESCRIPTION OF USE" part
> of etcmerge manpage):
> 1) Make sure your current /etc is up-to-date (IOW run mergemaster(8))
> WRT your current RELENG_6 source tree;
> 2) Follow etcmerge manpage to get /var/db/etc corresponding to the
> _stock_ /etc directory from your source tree.

etcmerge is nice, although I have found it does try to merge the .db
files which result in bogus conflicts (just delete the .db files and
rebuild the alias, password and/or terminal cap. DB).

It's also nice because it doesn't touch your /etc until after everything
is merged.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum