Are SATA port multipliers supported in -CURRENT?

Scott Long scottl at samsco.org
Wed Jul 25 20:44:02 UTC 2007

Steven Schlansker wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> I am considering buying a SiI 3132 SATA card along with a 5-1 port
> multiplier.  I'm trying to see if FreeBSD supports such a configuration,
> but the only reference found to port multipliers and FreeBSD was some
> poor, lonely man asking about a "porn multiplier" crashing his system on
> startup. :-p
> The thread trailed off quickly, without resolution.
>
> So my question is:  Are port multipliers supported in CURRENT?  Are
> there any caveats?  I don't see anything in UPDATING, the handbook, or
> our friend Google.  I want to check that it is supported before I drop
> $80 on it :)  Thanks a bunch!
> Steven

They are only supported at the moment by controllers that are
intelligent enough to hide the details of how they work from the OS.
The SiI family probably doesn't fall into this category.  I'm working
on this as part of a larger SATA/SAS/SCSI/FC overhaul, but it'll be
a few months before there are any results.

Scott