Promise SATA300 TX4 card issues

Sverre Svenningsen ss.alert at online.no
Tue Jul 24 12:40:08 UTC 2007

Hello Barry,

> Nathan Butcher wrote:
>> Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:

> I've noticed problems with this card too, running amd64 on a AthlonX2.

> I've got a ZFS pool setup, and when scrubbing the pool it comes up with
> erratic CKSUM errors (for example, scrub once and get 7 errors, scrub
> again immediately and get 53 more).

> Previously I had these drives (Seagate Barracuda ES ST3320620NS) plugged
> into the motherboard SATA ports of the same machine, (nVidia nForce
> MCP51 SATA300 controller) with no issues at all.

>         Barry

Hi, i want to report this same problem. Platform is a c2d with 1gb ram
running i386.

I updated my sources and installed a new kernel and world yesterday,
July 23rd.(old world and kernel was built on 2nd of June) and now i'm
seeing this problem too. Only difference is that i have two of these
promise sata300 tx4 cards in my machine.

Even trying to create a zfs raidz on disks attached to the controllers
will hardlock the computer with no visible kernel panic, so it's hard
to tell just what happens.

The system disk is on another controller, and testing various zfs
things on the onboard controller (intel ich) works fine.

What broke the promise ata driver?

--
Best regards,
 Sverre                            mailto:ss.alert at online.no