RFT: bin/106642: [patch] Allow excluding certain files from mergemaster (8)

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Tue Jul 17 10:44:29 UTC 2007

Dmitry Morozovsky wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > OF> On my notebook I have a script /etc/rc.d/net-detect that
 > OF> pings several IP addresses in order to find out in which
 > OF> network environment the notebook is used (at the office,
 > OF> at home with wlan, at home with 100base-t, or no network
 > OF> at all).  The script then adjusts several symlinks based
 > OF> on the network environment, i.e. several files in /etc
 > OF> are changed, including rc.conf, ntp.conf, resolv.conf,
 > OF> fstab (!), hosts and others.
 > OF>
 > OF> That script runs as the very first rc script, even before
 > OF> root is mounted r/w (it does fsck -p / + mount -u -o rw /,
 > OF> then changes the symlinks, then mount -u -o ro /).
 > OF>
 > OF> Works perfectly fine for me.  The only thing I need to be
 > OF> careful about is to tell mergemaster not to remove that
 > OF> script.  Mergemaster's default, unfortunately, is to delete
 > OF> all unknown scripts in /etc/rc.d.  Of course I do have a
 > OF> backup copy, so I can easily recover if needed.
 >
 > Hmm, if it is the very first rc.d script, why don't you name it
 > /etc/rc.early ?

Because /etc/rc.early is _not_ the very first script
being run.  See:

$ rcorder /etc/rc.d/* | sed -n '1,/early/p'
/etc/rc.d/dumpon
/etc/rc.d/initrandom
/etc/rc.d/geli
/etc/rc.d/gbde
/etc/rc.d/encswap
/etc/rc.d/ccd
/etc/rc.d/swap1
/etc/rc.d/mdconfig
/etc/rc.d/ramdisk
/etc/rc.d/early.sh
$

Best regards
   Oliver

"I started using PostgreSQL around a month ago, and the feeling is
similar to the switch from Linux to FreeBSD in '96 -- 'wow!'."
        -- Oddbjorn Steffensen