ULE/SCHED_SMP diff for 7.0

Ganbold ganbold at micom.mng.net
Tue Jul 17 09:54:13 UTC 2007

Jeff Roberson wrote:
> http://people.freebsd.org/~jeff/ule.diff
>
> This patch is scheduled for inclusion in 7.0.  I would like anyone who
> cares to run it to validate that it does not create any stability or
> performance regression over the existing ULE.  This patch replaces ULE
> with SCHED_SMP, which will now no longer exist as a seperate fork of ULE.
>
> Briefly, this is still a very suitable scheduler for uniprocessor
> machines while providing stronger affinity and other performance
> improvements for multiprocessor machines.
>
> Even "works for me!" type responses are welcome so I know roughly how
> many people have tested before I commit this close to release.

Works fine here. I didn't test much, just played 2 movies using mplayer,
run openoffice, xmms etc. 2 movies play fine in regular gnome,
however after running beryl one movie plays fine in first desktop,
second movie plays with some latency (not smooth) on second desktop.
However both movies play fine if they are in same virtual desktop.
I guess this kind of problem is related to beryl/xorg.

thanks a lot,

Ganbold