status of 7.0

Marc UBM Bocklet ubm at u-boot-man.de
Sun Jul 8 11:30:06 UTC 2007

On Sun, 8 Jul 2007 11:15:49 +0100 (BST)
Robert Watson <rwatson at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 7 Jul 2007, Paul Eskello wrote:
>
> > I was wondering when to expect 7.0 release ? Did I miss the
> > schedule. Any showstoppers ? when to expect RC1 ?
> >
> > Just curious.
> >
> > Have a great weekend.
>
> Ken may respond in a more detailed form, but the current stage is
> that we are waiting for the feature set to finally settle and some
> known outstanding issues to resolve themselves, at which point we'll
> cut a first beta in the next 2-4 weeks.  As a precursor to that,
> monthly snapshots will likely get built and released in the next
> couple of days.  Hopefully testing and feedback from that will allow
> us to nail down a more specific schedule for the release itself.
>
> At this point, the imperative for developers is to wrap up any
> remaining outstanding features and work on testing and bug fixing.
> Likewise users :-). We often find that even early adoption sites only
> really start testing during the RC cycle, and that's far too late to
> make larger changes that may be required to address some sorts of
> stability issues.  Getting people doing testing the whole way through
> the cycle makes a big difference in the effectiveness of the test
> cycle.

I'd like to do some testing, but I'm a little bit afraid of the upgrade
procedure 6.2-stable to -current. Is it possible to do a simple upgrade
if I follow the guidelines in UPGRADE or are there any hidden caveats?
(like "you've to recompile all installed ports", etc. :-))

Bye
Marc

--
"And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?"

W.B. Yeats, The Second Coming