moving a zfs pool

Volker volker at vwsoft.com
Sat Jul 7 22:58:56 UTC 2007

Hi,

this is more likely currently a theoretical question: How does one
move a zfs pool from one machine to another?

I've done that in the past a lot with ufs filesystems by piping a dump
through an ssh session and restoring on another machine just to move
data to another system. This should also work on a per filesystem
basis when using zfs but isn't there a way to move the whole pool to
another machine (w/o physically moving the hard disk)?

This would be the case when migrating a machine or migrating hard
disks. The zfs export feature doesn't look promising for this or do I
misread some bits? Please don't tell me, 42 is the answer... ;)

I'm missing something I would call 'zpool dump' and 'zpool restore'.

Thanks!

Volker