SCHED_4BSD: More than 1 process running on UP machine?

martinko gamato at users.sf.net
Thu Jul 5 09:33:26 UTC 2007

Ivan Voras wrote:
> Jeff Roberson wrote:
>
>> I suspect this is showing processes on the runqueue since top is the
>> only thing that is running anyhow.
>
> Shouldn't the number of processes in RUN state be synchronized with the
> "processes running" message in top?

6.0-R here and I can see more than 1 process in RUN state and it seems
to be synced with "? processes: ? running" ... so i believe the observed
behaviour is OK.

what bothers me more is that sometimes my system is under load yet i
cannot figure out via top(1) which process(es) are loading it -- that is
to say i see 100% cpu usage yet processes count to much less (and i'm
not talking about process that are rapidly created and destroyed).  :-\