Interesting speed benchmarks

Hans Petter Selasky hselasky at c2i.net
Fri Jan 26 18:03:59 UTC 2007

On Friday 26 January 2007 17:28, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> In message: <45B99A59.6070902 at freebsd.org>
>
>             Colin Percival <cperciva at freebsd.org> writes:
> : M. Warner Losh wrote:
> : > In message: <45B9895B.9020709 at freebsd.org>
> : >
> : >             Colin Percival <cperciva at freebsd.org> writes:
> : > : M. Warner Losh wrote:
> : > : > Firewire does around 40MB/s, while USB 2.0 maxes out at about
> : > : > 12MB/s.
> : > :
> : > : I get 25MB/s from my Vantec Nexstar3
> : > : USB 2.0 enclosure:
> : > :
> : > : http://www.daemonology.net/blog/2006-01-28-vantex-nexstar3.html
> : >
> : > Still, 25MB/s is no 40MB/s...
> :
> : Sure, but it means that the performance issues aren't simply a global
> : "USB 2.0 is bad".  What does `diskinfo -c` say about your firewire and
> : USB interfaces?
>

> I haven't tested the Hans Petter Selasky usb stack to see if it is any
> better.  It appears there's no scatter gather there, so that might
> make the numbers even worse.  But if the command queueing is better,
> then it might make up for it.

Yes, it has scatter and gather since August last year :-) But all USB drivers
currently use copy-in/copy-out to/from the DMA buffer. With regard to "umass"
there is one copy-out/copy-in per transfer. Currently all transfers are done
in bulks of 131072 bytes, so there is not too much overhead.

I am considering direct buffer loading.

--HPS