Call for re(4) checksum offload testers.

Rene Ladan r.c.ladan at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 10:37:32 UTC 2007

Bill Paul schreef:
[...]

> I'm very confused as to why the chip botches the TX checksumming in
> this case. Unfortunately, most of this confusion stems from the fact
> that you didn't specify exactly which chip rev the user with this
> problem has, or give a test case to trip the bug.

I am that user, using this card, found in Asus A6JE laptops.  From pciconf:

card:	class=0x020000 card=0x11f51043 chip=0x816810ec rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
	vendor=Realtek Semiconductor
	device=RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC

> I'm assuming this yet another problem with small IP fragments being
> mangled. That being the case, it should be possible to trip the bug
> with "ping -s 1473 <somehost>." (1473 is 1 byte too large to fit into
> a 1500 byte frame, which will cause a 1 byte fragment to be sent.)
> I thought I tested this with my sample PCIe cards though, and didn't
> see a problem. I'll have to try it again tomorrow.

ping -s 1473 <NAT box> succeeds both with and without the patch (i.e.
ping gives timings), I've included two tcpdumps for further analysis.

The bug is visible when logging in to sites such as gmail.com or
nl.bol.com (a Dutch shopping site), or when connecting Thunderbird to
pop.gmail.com (which uses POP3 with SSL)

> -Bill
>
> --
Regards,
Rene
--
GPG fingerprint = E738 5471 D185 7013 0EE0  4FC8 3C1D 6F83 12E1 84F6
(subkeys.pgp.net)

"It won't fit on the line."
		-- me, 2001