A stuck system

Randall Stewart rrs at cisco.com
Thu Jan 4 03:33:36 PST 2007

Ricardo Nabinger Sanchez wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 05:48:34 -0500
> Randall Stewart <rrs at cisco.com> wrote:
>
>> Nope... its just a single port, on-motherboard msk0.
>>
>> It does wake up though if I ping any interface...
>>
>> I suspect it might be a hardware problem.. not sure
>> yet :-0
>
> How about installing a ping trap in the device driver to generate a dump?
> What I mean is to, whenever the device driver receives a packet, it checks if
> the packet is a special ping packet (with some specific data, like
> "dumpdump..." in the data field), and if so, forces a dump so you can check
> (luckily) where the system came from.
>
> It's a long shot, but perhaps it gives a hint.
>
> Does this behavior happens on IA-64 boxes?  If so, the kernel could set up
> the processor to save performance data (specifically the branch history), and
> the special ping (or something else) could be used to print the branch buffer
> history, instead of dumping a core.  Debugging symbols would be a must, I
> believe.

Well... the machine is only a p4d gigabit motherboard...

I am more and more suspecting a hardware problem.

There is a em card in the machine and the motherboard msk card.
The most recent update of the msk card seems to crash the system
at startup.. so I took it out of my load config.. have not
played with it yet..

Previously I could ping the msk net.. and the machine would
wakeup.. now that I don't have the msk card.. guess what.. pinging
the em0 card DOES NOT wake the machine up..

I bet there is some foul-up on the motherboard  causing it to
not deliver interrupts until another one (on the mother board)
comes in... oh well..

Randall Stewart
NSSTG - Cisco Systems Inc.
803-345-0369 <or> 803-317-4952 (cell)