strange crash

Vlad Galu dudu at dudu.ro
Thu Jan 4 03:10:43 PST 2007

On 1/4/07, Randall Stewart <rrs at cisco.com> wrote:
> Anton Berezin wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 03, 2007 at 03:18:12PM -0500, Randall Stewart wrote:
> >
> >> My "vacation" project was to reload the 80Gig disk that
> >> came with my Thinkpad T43 with the latest version of
> >> current...

> >> I just decided to rebuild and reload my latest kernel changes I am
> >> working on for SCTP.. and for the first time I did the logout button.
> >>
> >> Bam.. black-screen.. and reboot.
> >
> > I have the same experience with my T-43, but only when there is a
> > /etc/X11/xorg.conf present.  If I just start X without configuration,
> > everything's fine and dandy.  With configuration, ANY configuration (I had
> > to build some to work with external monitor, with presentation projector,
> > that sort of thing), I get exactly the symptoms you describe.
> >
> > It's been like that since I got the machine in the beginning of August.
> > It's been running moderately recent -current (never older than a month or
> > so).  I did not got around reporting this.
> >
> > So, just for the sake of it: move /etc/X11/xorg.conf out of the way, sync
> > and wait, do your reboot magic, then see whether it works.
> >
> > \Anton.
> Hmm..
>
> Do you mean /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xorg.conf
>
> I don't have anything in the /etc/X11 directory...
>
> And I thought that is where X11 got its know-how on how
> to initialize....
>
> I will try moving the one I have out of the way.. in fact
> thinking about it.. I did not regenerate this (with the
> config program) but copied it from my old disk.. but of
> course even if its bad it should not crash the kernel.

   FWIW, I experience the same symptoms on a Radeon Mobility X300.
They go away when I disable DRI. I think that by not using a
/etc/X11/xorg.conf, X switches to either vesa(4) or ati(4) drivers
instead of using radeon(4).

> --
> Randall Stewart
> NSSTG - Cisco Systems Inc.
> 803-345-0369 <or> 803-317-4952 (cell)

If it's there, and you can see it, it's real.
If it's not there, and you can see it, it's virtual.
If it's there, and you can't see it, it's transparent.
If it's not there, and you can't see it, you erased it.