strange crash

Randall Stewart rrs at cisco.com
Wed Jan 3 12:47:01 PST 2007

Hi all:

My "vacation" project was to reload the 80Gig disk that
came with my Thinkpad T43 with the latest version of
current... (I had previously .. when my laptop arrived..
moved the old disk into the T43).. so to gain
20Gig.. I thought I would upgrade to the latest..

I loaded a 6.2 RC.. then transfered all things
in.. did the ole buildworld/install new kernel thing..

All fine..

Then I went and made all the wonderful packages I use.. including
the latest gnome2...

So.. everything is up and running (for the past couple of days).. all
is fine.. or .. not :-0

I just decided to rebuild and reload my latest kernel changes I am
working on for SCTP.. and for the first time I did the logout button.

Bam.. black-screen.. and reboot.

So.. curious as I could be.. I tried several times in vain to
get to the non-x windows..  each time I tried the logout
button.. bam.. reboot before I could ctl-alt-f1

Finally I had an idea.. log in as root on screen f1.. and
then do a kill -9 on a process..

So.. I kill gconfd-2

And bam.. reset without entering DDB??

Any suggestions on how I can get some valuable info would
be most welcome... the video chip is a RADEON one .. or so
the X stuff says...

I am up and working.. as long as I don't try to logoff my X session..

:-0

Randall Stewart
NSSTG - Cisco Systems Inc.
803-345-0369 <or> 803-317-4952 (cell)