Fine-grained locking for UNIX domain sockets: patch updated

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Sat Feb 24 11:47:35 UTC 2007

As part of Kris and Jeff's recent work on improving MySQL scalability on
FreeBSD, I've updated my fine-grained locking patch for UNIX domain sockets to
a more recent 7-CURRENT:

   http://www.watson.org/~robert/freebsd/netperf/20070224-uds-fine-grain.diff

This patch replaces the global mutex with a global rwlock, and introduces
per-unpcb locks to protect the state of each socket at the UNIX domain socket
layer.  Depending on the protocol operation, either the per-unpcb mutex is
sufficient, or global read or write locks may also be required. The role of
the global lock is to protect the topology of the connections between sockets,
protect vnode v_socket pointers, and to prevent lock order issues in the event
the per-unpcb lock of more than one socket must be acquired at a time.  For
example, exclusive global locking is required during bind() and connect() to
protect v_socket and change the topology of connected sockets, whereas recv()
requires only the unpcb lock of the receiving socket.  send() may require
either just an unpcb lock or a global lock if send() is implicitly connecting
(sendto()) or disconnecting (PRUS_EOF) a socket.

This is basically the same patch that I have been maintaining since 2005 and
posted at intermittent intervals when there have been reports of negative
performance due to high contention on the UNIX domain socket subsystem lock.
I continue to look for performance feedback, especially from workloads that
are heavy consumers of UNIX domain sockets (such as MySQL).  My experience has
been that it gives a small performance hit on workloads and in configurations
without much contention/scalability, but a measurable performance benefit with
anything more substantial.  Decrease in lower end workloads and configurations
is at least in part due to the overhead of some additional locking vs. the
benefits of reduced contention.  Something that I am particularly interested
in looking for is little or no performance hit on UP.  This is a fairly
heavily tested and refined patch, so the issue in deciding whether or not to
commit this is its real-world effect on performance.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge