Unable to use network early in boot with recent -current

Scot Hetzel swhetzel at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 08:50:02 UTC 2007

On 2/23/07, Andre Guibert de Bruet <andy at siliconlandmark.com> wrote:
> On Feb 22, 2007, at 2:29 AM, Scot Hetzel wrote:

> >> This should already happen if you "set kernel" to kernel.old and
> >> then "boot".
> >
> > I set the kernel variable in loader.conf, so that I can have multiple
> > kernels installed and choose which kernel to boot the next time the
> > server is booted.
> >
> > /boot/loader.conf
> > #kernel="kernel_p4_debug"
> > kernel="kernel_debug"
> >
> > hp010# sysctl -a | grep kernel
> > kern.bootfile: /boot/kernel_debug/kernel
> > kern.module_path: /boot/kernel_debug;/boot/modules
>
> Just out of curiosity, have you come across nextboot(8)?

Just read the man page, and I can't use it due to how I boot my system.

Since, nextboot only allows the specified kernel to be used
temporarily, When the system is booted for the 3rd time it would be
back to the original kernel.  I usually want to use the same kernel on
the next boot.

If I want to use a different kernel I specify it in loader.conf.

I set it up this way so that I could run 4 Linux Test Project (LTP)
tests.  These runs consists of:

   2 runs on /boot/kernel_debug (linux version set to 2.4.2, and 2.6.16)
   2 runs on /boot/kernel_p4_debug (linux version set to 2.4.2, and 2.6.16)

These runs are used to test the status of the linuxolator on FreeBSD/amd64.

Scot
--
DISCLAIMER:
No electrons were mamed while sending this message. Only slightly bruised.