Unable to use network early in boot with recent -current

Scot Hetzel swhetzel at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 18:58:16 UTC 2007

On 2/21/07, Kevin Oberman <oberman at es.net> wrote:
> > Firewall rules?
>
> Please ignore my prior message. I just tried and "ipfw list" shows the
> single default deny rule, "65535 deny ip from any to any". I have no
> idea why this is in effect at this early in the startup process...long
> before the firewall rules are loaded. Guess I will stop loading ipfw at
> boot time and let the startup file load it.

That is the default ipfw deny rule when ipfw is loaded, it is used to
protect the system from intrusion by unauthorized persons, until you
have your firewall rules loaded.

You can add:

option IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT

to your kernel config file, which would open your system to the world
until your firewall rules restrict what other systems can access on
that server.

Scot

--
DISCLAIMER:
No electrons were mamed while sending this message. Only slightly bruised.