Unable to use network early in boot with recent -current

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Tue Feb 20 23:20:38 UTC 2007

My laptop running current of Feb. 9 seems to be unable to configure and
use a network interface early in the startup process.

I use Tobias Roth's profile script to determine where my laptop is
located and to configure it appropriately. This is done by setting an
address on an interface and trying to ping a known neighbor (usually a
router).

This worked on systems built through Jan. 25, but now attempting to do
this right after root is mounted RW, I get "sendto: permission denied".
I get this at any point in the startup prior to netif.  This is in
single user mode, so this is quite baffling to me, although I realize
that this method is unorthodox (and certainly not supported), but it
has always worked and I don't see what broke it.

Any ideas of what might be going on?
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)