latest xorg port compiles but does not run on sparc64

Don Lewis truckman at FreeBSD.org
Thu Feb 8 09:27:05 UTC 2007

On  8 Feb, Michiel Boland wrote:
> Hi. I'm not sure what exactly is the correct mailing list for these
> things, since it applies to both -current, -sparc64 and -ports, so I
> thought I would try -current first. Sorry if this is inappropriate.
>
> Anyway, I recently got hold of an old Sun Ultra10 which I upgraded from
> 6.2-RELEASE to -CURRENT (dated about midnight, 7 feb). At that time no
> ports were installed.
>
> Then I proceeded to build and install the xorg-server port
> (xorg-server-6.9.0_6) manually, but it wouldn't run. On startup of X the
> rather curious message appeared:
>
> dlopen: /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/fonts/libbitmap.so: Undefined symbol
> "xf86stderr".

I also ran into this problem, except that the complaint was about a
different symbol.

I suspect that the problem is an include file change in either the base
system or one of the xorg-server dependencies.  These are the steps that
I went through to get my machine up and running:

	Use "cvs update -D", "make", "make deinstall", and "make
        reinstall" to revert xorg-server and xorg-libraries to versions
        from two weeks ago.  Still broken.

	Use "cvs update -D", "make buildworld", and "make buildkernel"
	to revert the base system to a two week old version.  The
        xorg-server failed to start after "make installworld" and also
        after a subsequent "make installkernel" and a reboot.

	Revert to two week old versions of these dependencies:
		textproc/expat2
		x11-fonts/fontconfig
		print/freetype
		print/freetype2
		graphics/libdrm
		devel/pkg-config
	Still broken ...

	"make clean && make && make deinstall && make reinstall" in
	xorg-server.  Result -- SUCCESS!

	Create a package for xorg-server and use this package to install
	on another machine that broke with the latest update.  Result -
	SUCCESS!

I've got a plane to catch in a few hours, so I can't debug this further,
but I hope this provides enough info for someone to track down the
actual problem.