a new way to hang 7.0

Mikhail Teterin mi+kde at aldan.algebra.com
Sun Dec 30 09:19:36 PST 2007

The system is a dual-Xeon (i386) running 7.0-PRERELEASE as of Dec 29th.

It went like this:

root at corbulon:/home/mi (102) dump 0auCLf 32 - / | gzip -9 > /net/blue/corbulon.root.0.dump.gz
/net/blue/corbulon.root.0.dump.gz: Read-only file system.
^C^C [... hang ...]

Indeed, I mistyped the destination path and ended up in the
non-writable directory.

Something -- I'd guess, it was the snapshot-creation -- hung
the system solid.

After correcting the destination path and REBOOTING, the dump
is proceeding. I removed the L-flag too, just in case :(

Is this really a new way, or is it well known already? Thanks!

	-mi