Can't install FreeBSD Current or 7.0 on AMD Turion 64x2 Mobile TL-58 1.9 Ghz in an Acer 5520-5679

eculp eculp at encontacto.net
Sat Dec 22 06:27:14 PST 2007

Quoting Scot Hetzel <swhetzel at gmail.com>:

> On 12/21/07, eculp <eculp at encontacto.net> wrote:
>> We have an almost new Acer 5520-5679 in the office that we intended to
>> partition and  install 8.0-CURRENT-200712-amd64 but much to my
>> surprise accessing the cdrom it went into an immediate, unreadable
>> loop of hex numbers that can only be stoped by powering down.  I next
>> tried 7.0BETA-4 standard (no amd64) and I can get to the Welcome menu
>> but with all options end up with a BTX halted, almost immediately.
>>
>> The machine specs are:
>> AMD Turion 64x2 Mobile TL-58 1.9 Ghz 2x512K Lw cache
>> 2GB DDR2
>> 160G HDD
>>
>> Short update.  I built a release locally with yesterdays sources
>> 7.0-BETA4 with the same problem.
>>
>> Has anyone else seen this with Turion 64x2 or is it an Acer thing.  We
>> should learn that cheap is often expensive.
>>
> I have the same problem with my HP DV8135NR laptop when using the boot
> CDs to install FreeBSD.  I was able to get it to install by repeatedly
> pressing the space bar until the speakers beeped for a couple of
> seconds (when you see  /boot/kernel/kernel you can release the space
> bar), then it loads and executes the kernel and proceeds to
> sysinstall.  After installing FreeBSD to the Hard Drive, the system
> boots without any further problems.

> Scot

Scot,

That is amazing.  Yes it does boot and I'm going to install and see
what happens.  Gotta add that to the handbook.  When all else fails,
set on the space key.  How did you come up with that solution?  Never
mind it works:)

One other question, did you install AMD64?

! ! FANTASTIC ! !

Thanks and best wishes to all,

ed