em drv troubles

JoaoBR joao at matik.com.br
Thu Dec 20 04:16:27 PST 2007

I believe the em man page needs a revision, the tunable sections referres to
hw.em. and should be dev.em.

hw.em.tx_int.delay defaults to 64 according to the man page but my server show
66 as for other values too:

dev.em.1.tx_int_delay: 66
dev.em.1.rx_abs_int_delay: 66
dev.em.1.tx_abs_int_delay: 66

what is correct and how much does it matter?

I get sporadic freezes, sometimes after an hour and sometimes after some days
of uptime,  with no log and rare times a panic which then point to em in the
kernel but can not get a core dump, seems the machine freezes before the
panic msg ends

I run amd64 with opterons and tyan MBs, to check if this has something to do I
could repeat the problem on AM2 X2 MB with Sata disk but same nics and low
traffic (1-2MB/s).

somebody has an idea here?

--

João