pending changes for TOE support

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Sun Dec 16 03:17:13 PST 2007

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007, Kip Macy wrote:

>> + * + tu_abort
>> + *   - closes the connection and sends a RST to peer
>> + *   - driver is expectd to trigger an RST and detach the toepcb
>>
>> In regular TCP, the pru_abort method is only called on pending connections
>> while still in the listen queues of a listen socket.  Is this true of
>> tu_abort, or is tu_abort a more general method to be used to cancel
>> connections?  If so, probably worth commenting on that.
>
> tu_abort is called in place of tcp_output in pru_abort.

The reason I ask is that it appears tu_abort appears to be the only interface
allowing the stack to request that TOE reset of a connection.  In regular TCP,
soabort/pru_abort/tcp_usr_abort are used only on nascent unaccepted
connections; at least one other path, used by tcpdrop(8), can lead to
connections being reset as well.  Perhaps a more general tu_reset could be
used to address this?  I'm not sure what other direct-to-reset paths exist but
a review for them may be called for.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge