deprecate ftp-proxy in favor of ftp/pftpx

Remko Lodder remko at FreeBSD.org
Fri Dec 14 13:30:41 PST 2007

J.R. Oldroyd wrote:
> The two main tools most users appear to use for FTP, viz ftp
> and firefox, do not work well with ftp-proxy any more.  While
> ftp can be configured to work, firefox cannot.  The problem is
> that ftp-proxy only supports active mode connections and firefox
> only supports passive ones.  Ftp, itself, defaults to passive
> (or even epsv4) and has to be configured to default to active.
>
> The port ftp/pftpx is an alternate FTP proxy which handles
> passive and epsv4 just fine.
>
> Is it time to deprecate ftp-proxy and elevate ftp/pftpx to the
> base system and recommend its use instead?
>
> 	-jr

I am a bit sceptical against this because ftp-proxy is a tool derived
from OpenBSD ( afair ) and it works very well together with PF and
things like that.

Max: Your thoughts? :)

--
/"\   Best regards,                      | remko at FreeBSD.org
\ /   Remko Lodder                       | remko at EFnet