Problems Building 7.0-Beta3 with -Os

Jan Lentfer Jan.Lentfer at web.de
Fri Dec 7 01:18:41 PST 2007

Zitat von JoaoBR <joao at matik.com.br>:

> FYI, I am certainly very performance and not compatibility  oriented
>
> whatever, my question, probably disturbing question, is what any available
> make.conf option could offer any measurable or significant advantage for a
> system which only has  1Gig and as like you say a "VIA C7 system"?  What
> miracle you are waiting for when tweaking make.conf with parms others than
> specifics to you ownly and lownly CPU?

I'd say this is basically a question what you expect your system to
do. As this is a fanless Mini-ITX system with a 1Gig C7 CPU standing
in my living room and being idle 90% of the time, I expect to have low
noise and low power consumption while this system delivers acceptable
performance for my personal use (PostgreSQL, postfix/cyrus imapd with
amavis, apache, bacula, etc...). Also this system has an integrated
padlock chip which makes it ideal as an VPN gateway running OpenVPN.

Still making the system 10% "less lame" by using some optimization
levels in compilation at no extra cost is something I certainly won't
leave aside :-).

On the other hand, why you want to optimzie the hell out of a 4-way
8-Gig Operton server or the like, for normal services you want feel
too much difference here, because it is fast as hell anyway.

So, to sum it up, it's a point of view an expectations you have - no
general answer possible.

Regards,

Jan