problem with if_wpi and wpa_supplicant.

Jeff Palmer jeff at rexdb.com
Fri Dec 7 02:46:38 PST 2007

Ben,

In the other thread, you again mentioned trying your perforce version.
so I spent a bit of time today installing ruby and figuring out what
other ports I needed to get the p4fetch.rb script to work.

After trying the perforce version I can report the following and if they
are not currently know issues, I can provide details and logs upon request.

The perforce driver _works_ the very first time it's kldloaded, and
wpa_supplicant is used.
 there are a couple "Invalid argument" errors,  and then it eventually
associates.

 Laptop# wpa_supplicant -i wpi0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
Trying to associate with 00:02:2d:b5:12:1a (SSID='wifi' freq=2442 MHz)
ioctl[SIOCS80211, op 21, len 42]: Invalid argument
Association request to the driver failed
Authentication with 00:00:00:00:00:00 timed out.
Trying to associate with 00:02:2d:b5:12:1a (SSID='wifi' freq=2442 MHz)
ioctl[SIOCS80211, op 21, len 42]: Invalid argument
Association request to the driver failed
Authentication with 00:00:00:00:00:00 timed out.
Trying to associate with 00:02:2d:b5:12:1a (SSID='wifi' freq=2442 MHz)
Associated with 00:02:2d:b5:12:1a
CTRL-EVENT-CONNECTED - Connection to 00:02:2d:b5:12:1a completed (auth)
[id=0 id_str=]

After the first connection,  I can get an ip via dhclient,  and pass
traffic.

Stopping wpa_supplicant seems to put the hardware in some kind of hung
mode.  Future attempts to use wpa_suplpicant never work (it doesn't
associate a second time.)  After this,  I can kldunload if_wpi, and it
unloads.  but afterwards,  trying to kldload if_wpi doesn't reattach.
wpi doesn't show up in ifconfig, but kldstat shows it as loaded.

Again, I'm not sure if any of the above are known problems (in which
case, I apologize for wasting your time) or if it's specific to my
hardware (in which case, I can provide logs, details, or remote access
if you'd rather poke and prod at the hardware yourself)

I have to admit,  having it associate makes me quite excited.  I'm ok
with having to reboot if I lose my wireless link at the moment (the only
time I lose it currently, is when I go to another location, in which
case I'm shutting down anyway)

Thanks for all your effort!

Jeff