Repeated UFS panics?

Ivan Voras ivoras at fer.hr
Tue Aug 28 16:22:52 PDT 2007

Eric Anderson wrote:

> By any chance, are there some oddly named directories?  I found that UFS
> will panic with a ufs_dirbad if there are some strange chars in the dir
> name.  My directories were copied with rsync, from one UFS partition to
> another.  It could be the way rsync translated it or the way UFS sent it
> to rsync during read, I'm not certain.  I still have the bad file

I don't think so, except if make installworld generates such filenames,
which I don't think it does.

> system, corresponding core file, etc.  I even ran fsdb on the fs to
> track down the offending directory, and I think I found it.  Of course,
> I could rename it in fsdb, but that would remove my test case.  I
> stopped debugging it when I got busy, but if there is an interested
> person willing to help be with some debug ideas, I can go back into it.

On a tangent: has somebody found a way to debug panics from X11 - i.e.
when I detect a panic with the telltale sign that everything including
the mouse stops working, can I reset the video mode from the kernel
debugger (typing blind) and proceed to use the debugger?