computer becomes slow when compiling something

Oleg Nauman oleg at opentransfer.com
Tue Aug 28 08:30:28 PDT 2007

On Tue, Aug 28, 2007 at 12:48:13PM +0800, Ganbold wrote:
> Kostik Belousov wrote:

> >>Try the same thing again without INVARIANTS and WITNESS, both of which
> >>can consume a lot of CPU in kernel on a very active system, especially if
> >>lots of vnodes are being allocated and freed.  Especially WITNESS.
> >>

> >It does happens on the kernels without debug options, in particular,
> >WITNESS and INVARIANTS.
> >
> >It happens when a lot of short-lived processes are rapidly created.
> >Compilation is a good example of such workload; running configure script
> >is even better.
> >

> What would be a solution to this kind of problems?

 From my point of view it exhibits some issues with standard SCHED_4BSD
scheduler in the 7.0 (my laptop is mostly unusable during 'make buildworld'
for example - keyboard exhibits lost event sometimes, sound is jerking etc etc).
So I'm switched to SHED_ULE on my UP laptop; it was helpful. I'm running
custom kernel without debug options though.

> thanks,
>
> Ganbold
>

> --
> That's the thing about people who think they hate computers. What they
> really hate is lousy programmers. -- Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle in
> "Oath of Fealty"

The ultimate artifact may be found in the driven snow..