ichwd for ICH8

Mike Tancsa mike at sentex.net
Wed Aug 8 10:50:44 PDT 2007

At 11:55 AM 8/8/2007, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
>Mike Tancsa <mike at sentex.net> writes:
> > Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des at des.no> writes:
> > > I've tested the driver under -CURRENT on a couple more machines, with
> > > the same result everywhere: it probes and attaches and seems to work
> > > fine, but the box does not reboot.
> > kldload ichwd, watchdogd -t 20;killall -9 watchdogd and nada ?
>
>Precisely.
>
> > I can boot one of my working RELENG_6 boxes on current and test if you
> > think it is some version issue.
>
>That would be great!

Very strange indeed.  My RELENG_6 box reboots
just fine with your version and the version from
the PR.  However, the box fails to reboot running
with a CURRENT kernel on either version of the watchdog.

On a chance, I tried a trick I used to have to do
ages ago in order to get the driver to work.  I added

debug.acpi.disabled="sysresource"

to /boot/loader.conf

and then it worked on the CURRENT kernel.  i.e.
kldload /tmp/ichwd.ko,watchdogd -t 20;killall -9
watchdogd.... ~20 sec later, the box reboots
running a CURRENT.  Without that in loader.conf, the box does not reboot.

I _dont_ have to add
debug.acpi.disabled="sysresource" on RELENG_6 on
the same box for the ichwd to work as expected.

dmesg.txt attached the for same machine-- running CURRENT, one from RELENG_6