nfe(4) issues

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Wed Aug 8 10:13:20 PDT 2007

dan at danneh.org wrote:
 > I might be covering old ground here, and I realise that this is resolved
 > in fbsd7, however I'm after an urgent fix, as I'm unable to wait for fbsd7
 > to become a release.
 > I have a rack server, with an nvidia nforce pro 3600 chipset, and the nic
 > cards use the mcp55 marvell 88e1121 chipset (dual gigabit lan). the nve
 > that's shipped with 6.2 doesn't recognise it, and have been following
 > instructions here at
 > http://www.f.csce.kyushu-u.ac.jp/~shigeaki//software/freebsd-nfe.html to
 > attempt to get the nfe driver working on fbsd6.2.

It's probably _much_ easier to add the PCI ID of your MCP55
to the stock nve(4) driver on your FreeBSD 6 machine.  It
works -- that's exactly what I did in a similar case, but
only for the purpose of getting network access so I could
cvsup to 7-current.  The machine is now happily running 7-
current with the new nfe(4) driver.

Basically, you simply copy the device ID from the output
of "pciconf -lv" and insert it in if_nve.c and if_nvereg.h
(located in /sys/dev/nve).  I think there's even a PR about
it.

However, I recommend you update to 7-current anyway.  It is
already in code freeze for several weeks (in preparation
for the release), and it has been stable for me so far.

Best regards
   Oliver

"I started using PostgreSQL around a month ago, and the feeling is
similar to the switch from Linux to FreeBSD in '96 -- 'wow!'."
        -- Oddbjorn Steffensen