Atheros Open Hal

Jona Joachim jaj at hcl-club.lu
Thu Aug 2 22:13:06 UTC 2007

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 14:59:32 +1200
"Marcos Biscaysaqu - ThePacific.net" <marcos at tpnet.co.nz> wrote:

> Hi there.
>     It's the Atheros openhal driver supported in freebsd already?

I asked some time if there was any interest in porting OpenHAL to
FreeBSD. See the archive of the -advocacy mailing list.
I don't think there is any interest. FreeBSD is using a proprietary
closed source driver, a so-called blob, for Atheros chipsets and they
feel comfortable with it. The leaders hardly ever discuss such
decisions.

Quoting from
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/committers-guide/people.html:
"In order to develop FreeBSD, committers must have the ability to
openly discuss matters that will be resolved before they are publicly
announced. Frank discussions of work in progress are not suitable for
open publication and may harm FreeBSD."

Best regards,
Jona

--
"I am chaos. I am the substance from which your artists and scientists
build rhythms. I am the spirit with which your children and clowns